Our History
Founding and Early Leadership (1955)
Club Loreley was officially founded on May 15, 1955, under the guidance and encouragement of Mr. Frank Lehnert of the German-Canadian Alliance. During that inaugural meeting, the first Executive and Board of Directors were selected:
First Board of Directors – May 15, 1955
Arthur Schatz (President), Josef Schmid, Emil Lingen, Rudi Mäder, and Willi Grüneberg.
Later that year, on December 15, 1955, members elected a new Board of Directors:
Alex Hillebrand (President), Rudi Seitl, Rudi Mäder, Willi Grüneberg, Margret Stäger, Joseph Torok, Franz Plob, and Josef Schmid.
Words from Our First President
In his inaugural address, President Arthur Schatz expressed both gratitude and aspiration for the new club—then known as the German Canadian Club Oshawa, later renamed Club Loreley Oshawa. He acknowledged the work of the Executive, the Ladies’ Auxiliary, and the many instructors involved in teaching German culture, language, and traditional activities. He also praised the spirit of cooperation in the growing city of Oshawa and reminded members:
“One may rest on his laurels, but not sleep on them.”
This sentiment continues to guide the club’s commitment to friendship, understanding, and cultural preservation.
Founding Members and the First Clubhouse (1955–1961)
Founding Members
The founding membership of Club Loreley in 1955 included:
Schatz Arthur, Maeder Rudi, Grüneberg Willi, Schmid Joseph, Lingen Emil, Schwögler Ernst, Lehmann Alfred, Ladewig Heinz, Hemminghaus Kurt, Stäger Joseph, Koch Karl Heinz, Schleicher Rudolf, Hauck Ernst, Morre Gertrud, Plob Franz, Wunderlich Siggi, Gertz Ewald, Simon Frank, Mertes Hans, Mayr Hans, Rotschäfer Heinz, Strahl Ulrich, Lengauer Fred, Chrisl Gerhard, Seitl Rudolf, Melchert Erwin, Illig Hans, Gästlin Ingrid, Frankenstein Paul, Hübner Werner, Hillebrand Alex, Dr. Vollmer Helmut, Adebar Hubert, Zehethofer Joseph, Baumgartner Jack, Crawford Dennis, Ladwig Erwin, Dezsi Ludwig, Günther Rudolf, Torok Joseph, Galen Walter, Weigel Reinhold, Kautzky August, and Mayer Toni.
Acquiring the Property and Building the Clubhouse
In the spring of 1957, members voted to purchase the property that still serves as the home of Club Loreley. At the time, the club was not yet incorporated, so the property was purchased in trust by individual members.
During the winter of 1960–1961, plans were finalized for the construction of a dedicated clubhouse. A Building Committee was formed under Club President Josef Stäger, with members Bruno Rohn, Ulrich Strahl, Erich Behm, and Alex Hillebrand. The projected cost of the building was $25,000, with the expectation that much of the labour would be contributed by members.
Additional financing was secured through the sale of bonds and “building bricks.” Construction began in June 1961, with significant volunteer participation. As labour needs grew, a contractor was hired, increasing the final cost to $40,000, including furnishings.
The first dance in the new clubhouse was held on November 18, 1961, followed shortly by a traditional Richtfest on December 8. Membership grew rapidly, and numerous subgroups formed, marking an active and prosperous period in club life.
Expansion: The Members’ Lounge (1965)
At the 1965 Annual General Meeting, members approved plans for an addition that would become the Members’ Lounge, complete with basement and cloakroom. Financing was arranged through a $13,000 loan from the Bank of Montreal.
Once completed, the lounge quickly became—and remains—a cherished gathering place for meals, drinks, social events, and memorable moments shared across generations.
Ladies’ Auxiliary
The Ladies’ Auxiliary has been a cornerstone of Club Loreley since the earliest days. Shortly after the club’s founding in 1955, the wives of members began preparing meals and supporting events at Odessa Hall on Bloor Street.
The Auxiliary was formally established in 1962 by Margret Stäger, with Hanna Lehmann elected as the first leader. Over the decades, many dedicated women have guided the group, which is currently led by Liesbeth Sluys.
The Ladies’ Auxiliary has contributed immeasurably to club life, purchasing kitchen equipment, curtains, and furnishings, funding children’s Christmas parties, hosting bazaars and bake sales, supporting senior events, and playing instrumental roles in Oktoberfest and countless celebrations.
Beyond their service, the group has also enjoyed many social gatherings of its own, fostering lasting friendships among generations of members.
Loreley Youth Dancers
Founded in 1970, the Loreley Youth Dancers began as a small group teaching traditional German dances under the direction of Werner Huebner and his daughters, Gaetane and Joelle. Over the years, the program expanded dramatically, achieving recognition across the region for both traditional German and jazz performances.
Leadership passed through many dedicated volunteers—including Guenther Burghardt, Ossi Sponer, Hans Torok, Peter Stenz, Denton Grant, Brian Dimock, Holly Henninger, Jacquie Wannack, Heidi Lessard, and Gabriele Albrecht. Today, the group is led by Lori Pflanzer.
Major milestones include:
- Creation of the Funkengarde performance groups
- Annual participation in Fiesta Week since 1974
- Decades of performances at seniors’ homes, community events, and regional competitions
- Expansion into four age-based groups: Kindertots, Kinder, Juniors, and Seniors
The dancers owe their success to countless volunteers who have helped with instruction, fundraising, costume design, administration, and musical support. Their continued work preserves a living, joyful expression of German culture.
The Rifle Association
Established in 1967, the Loreley Rifle Association was formed by members with a shared interest in competitive shooting. Under founding chair Kurt Wagner, the group grew into an active club participating in competitions across Ontario, Canada, and even internationally—including a memorable 1974 tour of Germany.
Leadership transitioned over the years to Alfred Mühlbach, Ernst Stader, Rolf Rocker, and later Peter Biller, who continues to serve as chairperson.
The Association competes in 10-metre air rifle, an Olympic discipline requiring precision, concentration, and skill. Over the decades, the group has built traditions such as:
- Annual competitions with Ottawa’s Maple Leaf Almrausch
- Local rifle and pistol tournaments
- A long-standing commitment to safe, structured, and competitive shooting
The Rifle Association remains active, supported by donated equipment and the dedication of long-time members.
Soccer at Club Loreley
Soccer has played an important role in the club’s heritage since 1955, when the Oshawa Kickers were formed under Josef Schmied, Toni Meier, Karl Esser, and Roger Wolfe. The team quickly found success, winning their first league cup in 1956 and making a strong run to the Ontario Cup finals in 1959.
After disbanding in 1962, soccer at the club returned in 1965 with the Loreley Kickers, active until 1971.
A new chapter began with the founding of the Old-Timers (“Alte Herren”) team in 1968, led by Henry Seiffert with managers Ebby Harm and Ernst Stader. The Old-Timers participated widely in regional tournaments, proudly winning the inaugural trophy three times.
Although the soccer program is currently inactive, it remains an important and celebrated part of Club Loreley’s history.